Please note, if you use a Lessoncast Individual Account, you are both the Account Holder and End User of a Lessoncast service account. If you are part of a Lessoncast community, the Account Holder is the Customer who has contracted with Lessoncast and the End Users are the individuals whose user accounts are linked to that Lessoncast community.
Although significant changes are rare, this policy may be amended as new features, technology, or legal requirements arise, so please check back from time to time. We’ll notify you if we make a significant change and, where required, seek your consent.
Who Owns My Content:
Your Content is private unless you decide you want to share it. Customers that have purchased a private community may choose to share content only within the community or by using any of the Service’s features that allow you to share or collaborate on Content (“Collaboration Features”) with. If you choose to share, we may need to take steps to facilitate your collaboration.
What Happens When I Share My Content
We at Lessoncast encourage and facilitate sharing between educators. You may choose to share using public links or through any of the Service’s features that allow you to share or collaborate on Content (“Collaboration Features”). If you choose to share, Lessoncast will take steps to allow other users to more easily localize, differentiate, accommodate, make interdisciplinary, or otherwise create derivate works of your content. In other words, all of the things that good teachers do when they observe and emulate good teaching. So by sharing work on Lessoncast you extend the same creative rights you have to the content to us and to others who may use Lessoncast to modify your work including:
- granting Lessoncast a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, sublicenseable, transferable, paid-up license to use, reproduce, display publicly perform, transmit, make derivative works of, and distribute the Content, and all derivative works thereof, for any and all purposes, including without limitation in furtherance of the Services (the “Content License”); and
- granting each user of the Service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service, and you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in connection with the Service and Lessoncast’s (and its successors’ and affiliates’) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the Service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms (collectively, the “Advertising License”); and
Also when sharing content on Lessoncast you are extending the same rights that you have to the content to others in the community including the rights to:
- display the image and likeness for any person who may be identifiable in any Content (e.g., users can hear a person’s voice, or see the person’s face), you grant permission to publicly display and broadcast that person’s image and persona (e.g., you grant permission for you, your children under the age of 18, and any person for whom you are the guardian), or you warrant that you have obtained permission to publicly display and broadcast that person’s image and persona (collectively, the “Publicity License”).
- warrant that you have the right to grant the Content License, the Advertising License and the Publicity License to Lessoncast.
Lessoncast is not only about the content you share but also the underlying idea. Unless otherwise state as part of a private community with IP protection, when sharing content on Lessoncast you assign a creative commons share and share alike license for the underlying idea, concepts, techniques and approaches.
Notwithstanding anything in the foregoing to the contrary, you agree that any ideas you submit to Lessoncast (for example, with respect to the improvement of our Service) will automatically become the property of Lessoncast, without compensation to you, and that Lessoncast may use any such ideas for any purpose, in any way.
What information does Lessoncast collect and receive?
We built Lessoncast to help educators share classroom practices that make a difference for students and help administrators learn what teacher learning practices make a difference for educators. That means educators can input, upload, or store in Lessoncast any text, images, videos, narratives or student learning data you choose (collectively, “Content”). In addition to the data you input, we also collect and receive the following types of information:
- Basic subscriber information. To open your account and process payments, we collect and receive basic information like your email address and, depending on how you purchase a subscription your billing address and other payment information.
- Location information. We collect the IP address you use to connect to the Service, and — if you choose to share it — your location information from a mobile device. This helps us localize the Service for you and ensure faster uploads, downloads and site responsiveness.
- Device information. We collect information about the number and type of devices you use to connect to the Service, as well as information about the operating systems on those devices (e.g., iOS, Android, Windows) to ensure the Service works as expected for you.
How does Lessoncast use my information?
We have specific rules for how and when we use the information we collect and receive. We describe these below.
What does Lessoncast do with my information?
We are committed to protecting the privacy of your information. Below, we describe the ways in which we use the information we collect and receive to provide, maintain, and improve the Service; to provide troubleshooting and customer support; to protect the Service for all our users; to contact you; and to administer Lessoncast Business accounts.
We use a number of technologies to help you get the most out of the Service. Our systems automatically analyze your data to power Lessoncast features and to continually improve the Service for you in a way that does not require anyone to look at your Content. This may include, for example:
- Making sure you find what you’re looking for when you search your account.
- Showing you information most relevant to how you are or could be using the Service at a specific time or location.
- Suggesting actions for you to take based on information you’ve stored.
- Suggesting Lessoncast service features or products to you that we think will help you get the most out of our Service.
- Recommending people for you to collaborate with.
- To provide troubleshooting and customer support, our Customer Support team may need to access your information, such as your account email address and information about the Lessoncast application you are using, subject to the protections described above.
- We use a number of technologies to help you get the most out of the Service. Our systems automatically analyze your data to power Lessoncast features and to continually improve the Service for you in a way that does not require anyone to look at your Content. This may include, for example: Making sure you find what you’re looking for when you search your account. Showing you information most relevant to how you are or could be using the Service at a specific time or location. Suggesting actions for you to take based on information you’ve stored. Suggesting Lessoncast service features or products to you that we think will help you get the most out of our Service and recommending people for you to collaborate with. To provide troubleshooting and customer support, our Customer Support team may need to access your information, such as your account email address and information about the Lessoncast application you are using, subject to the protections described above.
- If you are an End User of a Lessoncast Community account, please note that the Account Holder of your Lessoncast Business account (such as your School district, or College of Education) may have established its own rules regarding End Users’ access, use, disclosure, or retention of data stored in that account.
Do individuals at Lessoncast view my Content?
Yes, we at Lessoncast are kind of geeky about this and we love watching examples of great teaching. You however always have control over who sees your Content outside of Lessoncast and no one at Lessoncast will ever share your content without your consent. Lessoncast may view your content specifically:
- To help refine or improve the technology.
- To help troubleshoot problems with the technology we may ask you for you temporary permission to copy or edit your content review portions of your Content. This permission terminates when the issue is resolved.
- If we become aware of a potential violation of our Terms of Service we may suspend or close your account until the problematic material is removed. Under such a circumstance, we reserve the right to look at content necessary to comply with our legal obligations, including to protect the safety of you or any other person.
To test and improve our product offerings for our users, we use aggregated data that does not contain any personal information, does not identify any person, and cannot be connected to any specific user. This policy is not intended to apply to such anonymized/de-identified data.
How does Lessoncast share or disclose my information?
Lessoncast is not in the business of selling or renting your information. Here are instances when we may disclose your information — and then only the minimum information necessary:
We share your information with Service Providers who process data on our behalf, such as credit card processors and customer management systems. For example, these Service Providers help us:
- Operate, develop, and improve the features and functionality of the Service
- Complete your payment transactions
- Fulfill your sales and support requests
- Communicate with you as described elsewhere in this policy
- We do not share your information with any third parties for their own advertising purposes.
- In the event of a merger, sale, or reorganization of all or part of our business, information covered by this policy may be transferred in connection with that deal.
How do I contact Lessoncast?
7400 York Road
Towson, Maryland 21204 USA
Attention: Privacy Team